Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hard financial times also hard on pets !


As we are all facing hard times, it not only affects people, but can also affects our pets as well. As more and more people are struggling to pay their bills and feed their families, more people are forced to give up their pets all as they are unable to pay for their pets needs, or many people forced out of their homes are unable to take their pets to an apartment or to live with relatives.


This means more pets are being left behind at vacant homes, or in the street or dropped off at animal shelters hoping someone will adopt them before they are put to sleep. I also, face issues with my 3 dogs where I am currently unable to pay for their annual shots or flea and heart preventative medications. I feel like I am being a bad mommy to my dogs, but I just don't have the money for shots. I can't imagine losing my pets and I have cared for them for years, so I will not give them up and I will find away to always get them their food, it may not be the expensive bags of dog food but I keep them fed, they are inside animals not subjected to the weather and so I am doing my best, but unfortunately I just can't seem to ever have enough money to afford shots. As credit card companies raised their interest rates I had to close out my accounts and so I have no back up money any where, right now I am out of work and my husband is working but his income doesn't account for more than half of our monthly bills.


So, I think its extremely sad that people have to choose to give up their pets, as so many are like family and like children. When you lose a pet its like a death in the family you go through a phase of loss and have to learn to get over it, but to have to give your pet to a shelter not knowing who will end up with your beloved pet or if it will be adopted at all, its really sad.


I can't imagine what the animals go through themselves, you are the only home and family they have ever known and to be thrown in a cage in a shelter with hundreds of other dogs barking and cats has to be a terrifying experience and very stressful for the animals. I think what has happened to our economy, is just an awful thing, as it affects business', homeowners, families and yes, even our pets.


To my babies, I am so sorry I can't afford your shots right now but I will do my best to keep you protected from illness, fleas, and heartworms until I can afford to get you all your necessary shots.. Is there anyone out there offering pets services to help families struggling to care for their pets if so, and they are in the Atlanta, GA area please let me know so I can see if I can get help for my 3 loveable babies, Gizmo 14yrs old, Oreo 4 yrs old, and Chaos 2yrs old..